Sanitary District No. 6, Town of Hempstead prohibits the unauthorized disposal of any type of hazardous materials at or on any of their facilities. The Town of Hempstead provides special collection days when town residents may bring hazardous household waste to a designated site. This program is known as the Town Of Hempstead "STOPTHROWINGOUTPOLLUTANTS" or S.T.O.P. program.
For a list of items accepted at the S.T.O.P. program and the current schedule,
please click here to visit the Town of Hempstead S.T.O.P. or call (516) 378-4210
Items Accepted at S.T.O.P.
* Limit 6 in 5-gallon containers only.
- Aerosol cans
- Asbestos (double bagged)
- Batteries - Car
- Batteries - Household
- Bug & Rodent Killers
- Chemistry Sets
- Drain Cleaners
- Fertilizers with Herbicides
- Fire Extinguishers - One-Time Use
- Flammable Liquids (fire starter, gasoline* and diesel fuel*) Fluorescent Lamps and CFLs in shatterproof containers including ballasts
- Latex & Oil-Based Paints
- Oven Cleaners
- Paint Strippers
- Paint Thinners & Brush Cleaners
- Photography Chemicals
- Polishes & Wood Preservatives
- Propane Tanks - 20 lb.
- Spot Removers
- Swimming Pool Chemicals
- Telephone Books
- Thermostats (containing mercury)
- Tires (car - off rims)
- Waste Oil*
- Weed Killers
Many of us use needles, syringes and lancets for medical reasons; these items are called Sharps. To properly dispose these items, please click here to read about the safe disposal of these items.
Residents you can now rid yourselves of unwanted computers, televisions, DVD/VCR player. This program is ONLY for the residents of Town of Hempstead. Click here to view more information